Mapel Lulu Factory resumes operation

0

A factory producing oil products in Jur River County in Western Bahr el Ghazal has resumed activities after closing for two years.

The Mapel Lulu Factory stopped production in 2013 due to shortage of funds. Eyeradio reported

The factory was producing Shea butter, used as cooking oil or body lotion. It was supported by Pact Sudan International organization before it collapsed.

The coordinator of the factory, Charles Nyiyuo Amok, says it will now be operating on limited resources, producing 40 litters of oil per day.

He says they will be facing challenges of getting technical experts to run the factory.

Mr. Nyiyuo also pointed out that the factory lacks markets and raw materials for their product.

http://eyeradio.org/mapel-lulu-factory-resumes-operation/

Advertisements

Parliament condemns sale of Peace Agreement document

0

The National Legislative Assembly condemns the sale in the streets of Juba the document of the Peace Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan signed in August.
Information Chairperson Thomas Wani Kundu says all citizens own the document and have the right to access it free of charge, Radio Bakhita reported.
He stresses that parliament condemns the individuals selling Peace Agreement document with the aim of making profits.
Legislator Wani calls on civil society organizations to help government agencies in disseminating and interpreting the peace document to rural communities.
He expresses parliamentary willingness to print the Peace Agreement document for the organizations or some individuals with the role of information dissemination.
Civil society organizations last week raised concerns about the sale of Peace Agreement document at a maximum price of 50 South Sudanese Pounds, arguing that Members of Parliament should utilize the 35 million Pounds 2015/2016 National Budget allocation for disseminating the peace agreement.

Justice Minister includes genocide to 2008 Penal Code Amendment Bill 

0

South Sudan Justice Minister on Monday tables 2008 Penal Code Act Amendment Bill, in the National Legislative Assembly to include emerging crimes of genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and defilement in rape cases.
Justice Paulino Wanawilla Unango says the proposed amendments fit South Sudan as a sovereign nation since the previous Act was made before the independence. CRN reported
National Legislative Assembly Speaker Manasseh Magok Rundial refers the Bill to Justice and Legislation Committee for scrutiny ahead of deliberation in one week’s time.
South Sudan Penal Code Act, 2008 stipulates several offences including kidnapping, trafficking in persons, defamation and murder among others except cases of genocide, war or crimes against humanity
Human Rights’ groups reported several offences in South Sudan conflict from mid December 2013 to August 2015 amounting to genocide, crime against humanity and war crimes.

Torit parliamentarians to summon ministers over denying hunger related deaths

0

Eastern Equatoria State Legislative Assembly based in Torit on Wednesday made recommendation for summoning State Ministers of Information and Agriculture over denying hunger related death report from Ikwotos County.

State Information Minister Mark Akio and Agriculture Minister Clement Chichim are expected to appear before Torit parliament for contradicting a report by Ikwotos County Commissioner Peter Lokeng on death cases linked to food shortage, Radio Emmanuel reported.

Member of Parliament or MP Bernard Loki, the mover of the motion who hails from Ikwotos County argues that the denial of hunger related death report portrays Commissioner Lokeng a lair amidst the truth that people died of hunger in the area.

He says over 670 families have deserted their villages in search of survival in other areas due to hunger threats.

MP Loki explains that Chorokol and Chahar residents have migrated to Kakuma area in Kenya and that some moved to Uganda while others are settling in Magwi and Torit Counties where they can get some daily survival.

Legislator Marcelo Lokuju says the two ministers must apologize for what he referred to as “not representing the interest of the people”.

State Assembly Speaker Tobiolo Alberio Oromo expresses worries that citizens fleeing to Kakuma might die or return alive in desperate situation, asserting that there is no food in Kakuma.

Eastern Equatoria State Governor Louis Lobong Lojore recently declared the state as hunger stricken in need of relief aid. – See more at: http://catholicradionetwork.org/?q=node/18846#sthash.7wretJHN.dpuf

PLP leader urges gov’t to fully apply laws on Child Labor

0

DSCN0485[1]

The Chairman of the People’s Liberal Party has called upon the government to fully implement the Child Act on Child labor to protect children in the country from being exploited.

Peter Mayen says children are employed in places such as hotels, bars, construction companies instead of going to school, Eye Radio reported

He says this is against the law.

Mr. Mayen urged the state Government, the Authorities of Juba City Council and Civil Society Organizations to enforce the law specially the Child Act.

“….children have been employed in Matatus as conductors as well as in heavy construction work, this is against the International standard of human right especially on child rights, and therefore South Sudan is not exceptional.”

Mr. Mayen urged the Government to construct more schools to give chance for children to study to become future leaders.

UNHCR relocates vulnerable refugees to Lasu settlement for better protection

0

Juba, 26.09.2015

 

 JUBA, South Sudan – 26 September (UNHCR) – UNHCR began the relocation of 2,143 vulnerable Sudanese refugees on Wednesday from Central Equatoria’s Yei town to the nearby Lasu settlement. Among them are many single mothers who approached UNHCR earlier this year seeking assistance, as they could no longer cope with the cost of living in Yei.

“Extreme poverty and a worsening economic situation have exposed many of these refugees to serious protection risks,” says Isabelle Misic, UNHCR Assistant Representative on Protection in South Sudan. “Our roles is to protect them from resorting to negative copying mechanisms, either because they are unable to pay for their rent, cover the costs of their children’s basic education or health care.”

 Upon arrival in the settlement, refugees have received food, a kit of items for domestic use as well as tools and a plot of land on which to build their houses. Lactating mothers were accommodated in a special transit facility to help keep their babies as healthy as possible. “Gradually, we will integrate this group of refugees in all existing services and assistance programmes available in the settlement, including shelter, food, water, health care and education”, says Misic.

While 644 refugees were relocated so far to Lasu in coordination with the Commission for Refugee Affairs, ACROSS and the local authorities, the relocation operation will continue in the coming weeks to transfer the remaining 1,499 refugees.

“We appreciate the hospitality and generosity of Lasu Payam’s authorities and people who are welcoming and hosting these most needy refugees as part of their community”, says Misic.

Home to some 8,300 refugees, Lasu settlement was established in 2009 to provide sanctuary to Congolese refugees fleeing the violence from the Lord’s Resistance Army in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is one of South Sudan’s ten refugee camps and settlements, which currently host 265,235 refugees as a whole.

USAID Provides Learning Materials to Schools to Promote Literacy

0

us-lgflagJUBA, South Sudan – Highlighting the importance of literacy in South Sudan, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) distributed educational materials to five Central Equatoria State schools on September 22, including books and other learning materials, classroom supplies including chalk boards, tools for making teaching and learning aids and storage equipment.

 The event at Gumbo Primary School in Juba celebrated International Literacy Day, which has been observed annually by United Nations member states since 1966.

 South Sudan has one of the world’s lowest literacy rates.  According to a 2009 household survey, only 27 percent of people age 15 and over were literate.  The rate was even lower among women and girls – only 16 percent age 15 and over were literate.

The conflict that broke out in December 2013 has decreased access to education, as some 400,000 children affected by conflict have been displaced and dropped out of school.  Many children and youth have been conscripted to fight, losing access to school.  Early and forced marriage and early pregnancy have also contributed to illiteracy among women and girls.

“Literacy is a key driver of sustainable development.  To meet South Sudan’s massive development challenges, children must be given the keys to unlock their potential to contribute to the nation’s future,” said U.S. Ambassador to South Sudan Molly Phee.  “USAID has a long history of helping to expand access to education and to improve the quality of education.  The Room to Learn project is the most recent example of support from the American people for increased literacy in South Sudan.”

 Through the Room to Learn project, USAID aims to reach 800,000 out-of-school children and youth over five years, either by directly enrolling them in school; improving retention by addressing the quality, safety and relevance of their instruction; or through distance learning, such as radio instruction for the hardest to reach populations.  The program uses a community-based approach to reach out-of-school and marginalized children and youth with emphasis on early grade literacy, gender equity, conflict mitigation and reaching marginalized populations.

South Sudan launches first-ever comprehensive National Curriculum.

0

JUBA, South Sudan, 8 September 2015 – The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology today launched the first-ever comprehensive national education curriculum for South Sudan.

Speaking at the launch in Juba, the Minister of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST), Honourable, Dr. John Gai Yoh said that the completion of the curriculum marked an important milestone in the history of Education in South Sudan as the country now has a complete, harmonized and recognized curriculum in line with regional and international education standards.

 With the generous support from the Global Partnership for Education, UNICEF (as its Managing Entity in South Sudan) partnered closely with the Department for International Development (DFID) to support MoEST launch the new curriculum under the theme: ‘Harmonised Education Service Delivery for Nation building, Peaceful Co-existence and Lifelong Learning for All’.

In keeping with global trends, the new South Sudan Curriculum is competency-based and integrates lifeskills and peace education, gender, human rights and environmental awareness into school subjects.  The curriculum includes academic and co-curricular activities to provide a variety of experiences for learners. The new curriculum is designed to systematically strengthen early literacy and numeracy, impart basic lifeskills that are important for peacebuilding (cooperation, tolerance, identity, appreciation cultural diversity, etc.), and engage learners to enhance their overall positive cognitive, psycho-social and attitudinal transformation.

Prior to the launch of the national curriculum, there was no complete or comprehensive curricula in South Sudan. Some schools were using the South Sudan curriculum while others were using curricula from neighbouring Uganda, Kenya and Sudan. The new curriculum covers the whole basic education system including Early Childhood Development, Primary Education, Secondary Education and the Accelerated Learning Programme and Community Girls’ Schools.

“Today’s launch marks the beginning of a long road for all,” said Jonathan Veitch, UNICEF Representative in South Sudan. “We must focus on getting children into schools, for while the curriculum is complete, textbooks must be designed and published; teachers need to be trained to implement this curriculum, and school managers, inspectors and supervisors require training to provide the required management and oversight.”

Participation in education in South Sudan has deteriorated since the conflict broke out in December 2013, which saw an estimated 400,000 school-aged children forced to drop out of school due to displacement and insecurity. Critical gaps in education include: limited

school infrastructure (less than 50% of schools have semi/permanent classroom, 60% without drinking water and 43% have access to latrines), lack of trained teachers (60% untrained), low primary school completion rate (less than 10%) and lack of basic teaching and learning supplies. South Sudan remains one of the countries with the lowest literacy indicators globally, with only 27% of adults able to read and write.

 The new South Sudan curriculum aims to foster a new generation of learners who are knowledgeable, respectful and supportive of peace and prosperity, growth and development, harmony and for justice, as clearly articulated in the National Curriculum Framework.

UNICEF, WFP RESOLVE TO DEFEAT MALNUTRITION IN SOUTH SUDAN

0

JUBA, 9 September 2015: The World Food Programme (WFP) and UNICEF are intensifying their efforts to reverse the dire malnutrition situation in South Sudan, where a brutal conflict has displaced millions of people, destroyed basic services, increased disease and exacerbatedhunger.

UNICEF and WFP today launched an enhanced joint nutrition response plan, which will see both agencies and their partners assist over two million people – children, pregnant women and new mothers – for the treatment and prevention of acute malnutrition in the country until May 2016.  The two agencies began the joint nutrition approach last year, and are embarking on the plan’s second year with a commitment to expand their lifesaving work.

“Every two minutes in South Sudan another child becomes severely malnourished. Last year we helped avert a famine. Now we must increase our efforts to avoid a catastrophic loss of young children’s lives,” said Jonathan Veitch, UNICEF Representative in South Sudan.

The renewed joint strategy is accompanied by a report showing that the action taken in year one by both agencies helped to avert famine and save lives by reaching one million people across the country through innovative methods, including joint rapid response teams in the conflict-affected states and ramping up the response in non-conflict states.

“In the first year we worked under extremely difficult conditions to bring much needed nutrition assistance to as many people and as many places in the country as we possibly could,” said Joyce Luma, the WFP Country Director and Representative in South Sudan. “Looking forward, we want to improve on the quality of nutrition services to continue to prevent and treat acute malnutrition.”

The joint nutrition response plan covers all states in South Sudan. It will look to engage more local and government partners, and improve their capacity to treat malnutrition. The nutrition response plan will also work to address the root causes of malnutrition, such as poverty, adequate water and sanitation, and infant and young child feeding practices.

Malnutrition in South Sudan is a chronic problem as well as the current acute emergency, and it is necessary to both focus on prevention and to deliver quality life-saving management of acute malnutrition to ensure the health of the next generation.

Rates of Global Acute Malnutrition (GAM) are still alarmingly high – well above the emergency threshold of 15 percent in most parts of the country – especially in the Greater Upper Nile States, Warrap and Northern Bahr el Ghazal. A quarter of a million children are severely malnourished.

While a peace agreement signed in August provides hope for the new country, basic health and nutrition services remain out of reach for much of the population. Since April, intense fighting has forced hundreds of thousands to flee into the bush or swamps for protection, where they are cut off from humanitarian assistance. Basic services that were reestablished over the past year have been destroyed, including hospitals, clean water, nutrition treatment sites –both out-patient and in-patient facilities.

Since fighting broke out in December 2013, more than two million people have been uprooted from their homes in South Sudan, more than half of them children. Humanitarian agencies continue facing challenges to reach and provide sustained nutrition services to this affected population.

UNICEF and WFP’s lifesaving nutrition programme in South Sudan is funded by donors including, in alphabetical order, the European Commission, Japan, Norway, Switzerland the United Kingdom, and the United States.

MILLERCOORS BOARD OF DIRECTORS NAMES GAVIN HATTERSLEY CEO

0

 

September 8, 2015 (London and Denver) – The Board of Directors of MillerCoors, the U.S. and Puerto Rican joint venture between SABMiller plc (LN:SAB; OTC:SABMRY) and Molson Coors Brewing Company (NYSE: TAP; TSX: TPX), today named Gavin Hattersley to the role of chief executive officer, following former CEO Tom Long, who retired on June 30, 2015. Hattersley, 52, had been serving as the interim CEO of MillerCoors since July 1, in addition to his role as chief financial officer of Molson Coors.

 “Gavin is the right person to lead MillerCoors forward,” said Pete Coors, chairman of the MillerCoors Board of Directors and vice chairman of Molson Coors. “Gavin has a great handle on what needs to be done to achieve growth at MillerCoors and he has the complete confidence of the Board, the employees and the distributor network to achieve this aspiration.”

 “Gavin knows both parent companies incredibly well and he knows the MillerCoors business better than anyone,” said Alan Clark, Chief Executive of SABMiller. “In his few short months as interim leader, he has quickly taken action across a number of areas.  He has shown a deep understanding of the strategic issues facing the business and the need to prioritize returning MillerCoors to total volume growth in the years ahead.”

“Gavin combines his business knowledge with a healthy dose of impatience that’s needed at MillerCoors,” said Mark Hunter, CEO of Molson Coors. “MillerCoors has a tremendous portfolio of brands and they deserve a leader who will be able to focus all of his energy and efforts against growing the business.”

“I am humbled and honored to lead MillerCoors forward,” said Hattersley. “The passion and energy that our employees and distributors have for growing this business is awesome. We have a lot of work to do to meet our ambitious goals, but we have the people, brands and firepower to do it. My job is to galvanize and focus our collective efforts and inspire the company to take smart risks, execute the right ideas and, ultimately, grow our total volume and shareholder value.”

 Hattersley’s appointment is effective immediately. He follows Tom Long and Leo Kiely as the previous two CEOs of the MillerCoors joint venture.  Hattersley and his wife, Terry, will relocate to Chicago.

 Molson Coors has begun the process of identifying Hattersley’s successor as CFO. Hattersley will remain in a dual capacity as MillerCoors CEO and CFO of Molson Coors until mid-November.